I write and write and write. I am looking for authors and down-to-earth people who share my interest and can give a novice, like myself, good advice in this exciting but demanding field. Looking forward to hearing from you. God Bless!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

His first big reading

My pictures didn't turn out. They never do when I take them in our church...something about the lighting. But I was such a proud mom so I have to post the story anyway. Our kids, for those of you who don't know, go to Catholic School. So, once or twice a week, they attend mass. Well, the second graders, Michael's class, has been leading the mass a lot this year since they've all been preparing for their first communion.

Michael has struggled with reading. It has been a big frustration for me because, first of all, I hate to see him struggle. And secondly, I am such an avid reader. I love to read and read a lot. Therefore, I have a hard time understanding why Michael hasn't picked up on the joy of reading. Well, he's gotten better and is in a reading program where he has made tremendous progress this year. He's about up to speed.

So far this year, all he would read at mass was the songs that were on the list to sing or the prayers (basically one sentence...which can be memorized pretty easily). Well, I told him a few months ago that before the end of the school year I wanted him to be able to do some sort of larger reading. And he did it! Greg & I went to mass last week (actually on our anniversary) and Michael read the introduction (several sentences). I was so proud of him. I just wanted to stand up and start clapping. Am I a sappy mom or what.

No comments:

Post a Comment